Addressing Eye Allergies with Help from Our Sylvania and Toledo, OH, Ophthalmologist
Many people deal with irritating eye allergies on a regular basis, but you don’t have to be one of them. With help from Romanoff Vision, you can find relief from eye allergy symptoms. Our office is located in Sylvania, OH, and we are proud to treat residents from Toledo, OH, as well as Monroe, Bedford, Temperance, and Lambertville, MI.
Symptoms of Eye Allergies
It’s not hard to recognize the symptoms of eye allergies, but they can often overlap with other eye conditions. If you have eye allergies, you’ll typically suffer from redness, itchiness, burning, and watery discharge. Sometimes eye allergies can also make you sensitive to light. Often you’ll have these symptoms in conjunction with a sore or itchy throat, coughing, sneezing, and headaches.
Causes and Triggers of Eye Allergies
Allergy symptoms are one of your body's natural responses. Some of the most common allergens that trigger eye allgeries include the following:
- Smoke – both from cigarettes and from fires
- Dust mites
- Perfumes and colognes
- Pet dander
- Pollen from things like trees, grass, and ragweed
- Air fresheners
Treatment of Eye Allergies
One of the most important treatments for eye allergies is identifying and avoiding your triggers. For example, if your allergies tend to flare up when you are outside, the following tips can help:
- Avoid outdoor activities when pollen counts are high. Weather websites can give you this information.
- Try wearing sunglasses or protective lenses when you are outdoors. This can help block the pollen and other irritants from your eyes.
- Don’t use fans in your windows, as this can bring the outdoor triggers into your home.
Those who suffer from pet eye allergies should put the following tips into effect:
- Always wash your hands after touching your animal.
- Do not groom your pet indoors. Consider hiring someone else to do it or get another family member to do it outside.
- If you have carpet, trade it for linoleum, tile, or hardwood – something that dander can’t hide in.
- Keep your pet out of your bedroom so you’re not dealing with them while you try to sleep.
If you suffer from indoor allergens, you can try the following:
- Keep fabrics washed and vacuumed.
- Keep an eye out for mold. If you see it, clean it immediately.
- Try vacuuming or using a wet mop instead of sweeping, as sweeping tends to spread allergens instead.
Our ophthalmologist can help diagnose and determine the best course of treatment for your eye allergies. After an eye exam, our eye doctor will recommend daily steps to avoid your allergy triggers. Additionally, we’ll prescribe eye drops and other medications that can help provide relief.
Come Visit Our Sylvania and Toledo, OH, Eye Doctor for Allergy Relief
If you suffer from eye allergies, it’s time to visit Romanoff Vision for an eye exam. If you live in Sylvania or Toledo, OH, or in Monroe, Bedford, Temperance, or Lambertville, MI, call (419) 885-5556 to schedule your appointment today.